Don’t start a domain name transfer without reading this!
To protect your domain name from hijackers, a domain name transfer takes more than just the click of a button. There are essential things you have to do to make the transfer successful. Here's your check list for a trouble-free transfer...
8 steps to a successful domain name transfer
Looking to transfer your domain name to EuroDNS? I'll explain the transfer procedure later but first you need to take the following eight steps, only then will your transfer go ahead.
- Confirm with your current registrar how long your domain name has been registered. ICANN won’t allow a domain name transfer during the first 60 days of registration.
- If your domain name is protected with a registry lock, you’ll need to unlock it before the transfer. This should be done by your current registrar.
- Domain privacy/WHOIS privacy will have to be disabled so both registrars can view your contact details.
- Check the accuracy of the contact details you provided when registering your domain name. Both registrars will need to contact your admin contact for transfer approval. The response must be within five days. If not, the transfer will stop and you’ll have to restart.
- To avoid downtime, transfer your domain name using the existing name servers. Alternatively, name server updates should be done before transfer. Performed during transfer may cause it to fail.
- Transferring a domain name can take up to seven days. Check the expiry date of your domain name before you start. If it expires during transfer, it’ll be locked and the transfer stopped.
- Check the renewal date of the domain name you want to transfer. It must be within 30 days of its expiry date or it'll enter quarantine/redemption. The transfer won’t work until you renew the domain name.
- You’ll need an EPP auth-code/transfer key from your current registrar which you need to give to your new registrar. Request the code as soon as you decide you want to transfer so you’re ready to go (some registries take longer than others and there're even ones still using snail mail!). It’s a 6-16 character code that brings an extra level of security, protecting you against domain name hijacking. Note that auth-codes have a use by date. If you're looking to transfer a UK domain name to EuroDNS (.CO.UK, .UK, etc.), you'll need to change the IPS tag (Internet Provider Security). The tag identifies the registrar holding the domain name, and protects the name from being transferred without authorisation. You'll need to contact us and ask for our IPS tag. Log into your account with your current registrar and replace their IPS tag with ours.
Domain name transfer time frame
For most domain extensions, transfers take between 5 & 7 days from the time you authorise the transfer. But the procedure and time can vary for some extensions. Country code domains (ccTLDs) may ask for company registration numbers and trademark numbers. To avoid delay, check with your registrar before initiating a transfer.
How to transfer your domain name to EuroDNS
Now you’re ready to transfer your domain name. Log in to your EuroDNS account and in the blue menu click DOMAIN NAMES, then underneath click TRANSFER. Choose - Transfer from another registrar.
Enter your domain names in the white box and TRANSFER YOUR NAMES.
Select CHANGE SETTINGS and select the contact and name servers to support your domain name. You’ll also need to provide extra information: auth-code, company registration number, any relevant documents…
Click NEXT STEP. Additional services can be added depending on your requirements. Click on REVIEW AND PAYMENT and choose your invoice profile and payment method. Accept our T&Cs, then place your order. Woo hoo, you’re done!
Your domain name at EuroDNS comes with extras
Here’s what you’ll get when you transfer to us. Besides wonderful customer care, industry experts, and a multilingual team, you’ll also get the following extras with every domain name…
- Free Alpha SSL certificate to protect you and your customers, plus upgrades.
- Classic DNS which reduces lookup time and greatly improves the performance of your website. You can also upgrade to Professional DNS.
- Open-Xchange email account for a professional address.
If you have any questions about transferring your domain name, please contact our team and they'll talk you through the whole process.