Ensure your brand protection online with DPML or DPML Plus
Trademark owners can market their brands using hundreds of new available domain extensions (gTLDS). But with so many choices available, establishing greater brand protection online has never been more necessary. Protect your trademark from cybersquatting and other abuses with DPML (Domains Protected Marks List).
How does DPML work?
Donuts, which offers numerous gTLDs including the popular .CITY, .COMPANY, and .EMAIL, launched DPML to work in conjunction with TMCH (Trademark Clearinghouse). With DPML, trademark holders are able to block their trademark from being registered across all Donuts gTLDs, providing additional assurance of trademark protection.
All TMCH registered trademarks can be registered under DPML by registrars who employ the DPML system (like EuroDNS). If you register, for example, the trademark COOLSITE with the Trademark Clearinghouse, you can also purchase DPML to block ABCCOOLSITE since the latter contains your trademark in its original form.
You can purchase as many DPML blocks as you like, so long as the trademarked terms are not broken up. You could not, for instance, purchase DPML protection for COOLASITE, COOLBSITE, or COOLCSITE
Is DPML right for you?
There are some important caveats to keep in mind when considering DPML blocking:
- DPML can only be applied to strings matching the strings in the TMCH.
- Your registered TMCH trademarks must remain current. DPML protection will end once your TMCH registration expires.
- DPML will not block a domain that is already registered. And once the registration expires, the DPML block will automatically be reinforced so as to prevent the name from being registered by the public.
- In rare occasions, DPML blocking is not applicable. For instance, it is not applicable to domains which have been classified as premium.
- The WHOIS directory will show you if a DPML block already exists for a specific domain and, if one has been applied, only trademark owners with a matching trademark can unblock it. So, for instance, if COOLCOMPANY A in Spain and COOLCOMPANY B in France have matching trademarks, one can unblock the other’s individual domain.
Donuts’ DPML Plus for even greater protection
Until the end of December, EuroDNS will be offering DPML Plus, providing you with even greater trademark protection. DPML Plus includes numerous features and benefits not available in the existing DPML service including:
- A ten-year block term (as opposed to the existing 5 year term)
- The ability to submit unlimited and free overrides for the ten-year term in addition to blocking overrides performed by other TMCH holders of identical terms
- Extended protection for all gTLDs including “premiums”, an option not available through the existing DPML service
- Exact-match mark blocking plus three additional strings. For example, coolwebsite (the exact match), coolwebsiteboutique and coolwebsitebuilders (2 variations containing the trademarked terms, and colwebsite (a misspelling of the trademarked terms). Remember, the mark must be contiguous.
- Ability to block up to three more strings at an additional cost
Protect your intellectual property with DPML, DPML Plus, or other comparable options
If you are currently using a DPML, EuroDNS will enable you to convert to DPML Plus at any time. Your ten-year term will commence with your purchase date at which point you may add your three additional strings - or more for an addition fee.
Prevent others from stealing your intellectual property. Protect your trademark and related terms with DPML, DPML Plus, or other comparable products offered by registries Minds + Machines and Rightside, all of which are available through EuroDNS. We’ll help you select the right product to easily and effectively improve your brand protection online.